The Sheil Catholic Center’s Sheil School of Religion is a religious education program for children of Northwestern University graduate students, faculty, staff or associates who register Sheil as their primary faith community. During NU’s school year, students from ages 4 (pre-kindergarten) through 13 (eight grade) meet on Sunday mornings to attend Mass and receive religious instruction.
In this unique model, Sheil’s students are the teachers — sharing their faith with a younger generation, as well as gaining valuable service and teaching experience. Our dedicated parents also oversee the logistics of our CCD program.
More information is available below for:
- Parents of Sheil School of Religion Students
- Northwestern University Students Interested in Teaching
For more information on the Sheil School of Religion, please contact Tim Higgins at email@example.com or (847) 328-4648.
- Duration. Classes run from the second week of October
until early May.
- Enrollment Period. While Sheil has one single enrollment
period prior to the start of fall classes, the School of Religion
is open for registration to Northwestern students, faculty and affiliates
at any time.
- Mass Attendance. Students are expected to attend
Mass either before or after class, as this is necessary for their
full faith development.
- Parent Meeting. All parents must attend the parent
meeting in the beginning of the year.
- Sacraments. Sheil’s School of Religion
also provides sacramental preparation: second graders prepare for
and First Communion,
and eighth graders prepare for Confirmation.
Sacraments are celebrated in late winter to early spring.
- Registration & Tuition. Parents must register their child(ren) and pay tuition before the start of classes, in order to provide accurate class lists to our teachers.
Download the Parents' Handbook for more information and details, including requirements for Sacramental Preparation. All parents are responsible for reading the handbook and volunteering time to help the school run smoothly; various volunteer opportunities are listed in the handbook.
To enroll your child in the Sheil School of Religion, download our
All undergraduate and graduate Northwestern students are invited to teach in the Sheil School of Religion. No previous experience is necessary.
Student teachers commit to teaching for the duration of the School of Religion school year, from October through May; they are not expected to teach when Northwestern University is on break. Teachers work in teams of two or three for each grade level. First-time teachers will usually be paired with more experienced teachers.
Students who would like to teach are required to:
- Attend a Virtus Training Session for the prevention of abuse within
60 days of beginning to teach. You must attend one of
the Virtus training sessions or you will not be allowed to continue
teaching in the winter. New teachers in the winter will be
allowed a grace period of 60 days for training. You must sign up for
a Virtus session online here (click on "Virtus Training," click
on "Start Registration," then follow the instructions to
sign up for the Sheil Catholic Center session).
Virtus Training Sessions
- Dated TBD
- Sign a CANTS form, which is a background check from the Department
of Children and Family Services
- Sign a code of conduct form
- Register for a background check from the diocese at Sheil’s expense
To register, please complete the Student Teacher Application Form.